Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Day 344 Health Screening Tests & New Recipe

Exercise: None. Starting to feel a lot better now. Only headache left. Plan to workout tomorrow and can't wait to get back into it!!

A church was offering a health screening today. Vince and I had a FREE Carotid Test. This test diagnoses your risk for stroke/artery disease. (My Dad has heart issues so I wanted to make sure I was okay.)
They apply gel to your neck and do an ultrasound. They check the blood flow to see if there is blockage.

Before last year and before this blog, I ate lots of burgers and pizzas and drank sodas! Yes, that is right people. I was an unhealthy eater. Before I got married over 4 years ago, I was the Drive Through Queen!! Meaning I went to lots of drive through places to get my meals. I also didn't have food in my fridge! I ate out at restaurants almost EVERY meal!! Who knows what would have happen to me if I hadn't met Vince!! He really exposed me to an alternative way of eating. I love it now and wouldn't do it any other way! I'm a new person. Although, I do exercise a lot more than him!

I paid for another test called the PAD test (peripheral arterial disease).Peripheral arterial disease (PAD) is more commonly known as hardening of the arteries. PAD screening is done by using the ankle-brachial index (ABI). This ABI screening is painless, quick, and non-invasive. It is like taking your blood pressure in your legs.

I wanted this test because before I was into running, I couldn't run. When I tried my legs would get numb and tingly. I worked through that for many months and progressed and now consider myself a runner. The tingling and numbness went away. I'm hoping that through this year of healthy eating and exercise, I have changed my fate and am a healthy person now. We should get the results in 3 weeks. I do need to get my cholesterol checked as well. Before this past year it was borderline high. This is one of the reasons I changed my diet and now exercise (except for this week!)


Dinner: baked yam. Topping: see below. Tomatoes, 1/2 carrot,
chicken with salt, garlic salt and tumeric, water

Potato Topping Ingredients: bell peppers, green onion, bok choy, mushrooms,
spinach, low fat cottage cheese. 

Chop it all and mix together well. 

Breakfast: scrambled eggs with
calabaza squash and tomatoes, green tea
Morning Snack: sliced apples
Lunch: peanut butter sandwich, unsweetened cocoa in coconut milk, little vanilla
Afternoon snack: 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese, grapes, orange, water

2 comments:

  1. You've come so far, Trish - great work! Keep it up!
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Laurie! You are always so encouraging!

    ReplyDelete