Monday, June 18, 2012

Day 259 Leg Injury

Exercise: walked/jogged 2 miles, leg and back weights for 20 minutes at the gym.

Decided yesterday that I was going to begin training for a 1/2 marathon. Other people do it so why can't I was my attitude. I know from the past, that I tend to jump into running after being a way for a while and expect to be the same. I push myself until I usually overdo it and get hurt. So this time I was prepared to start out very slow and take it easy. Planned to only run 1/4 mile, walk 1/4, run 1/4 walk...etc for 3 to 4 miles. It was soooo easy for me so I figured I was past that point. I decided my limit would be to run 1/2 miles. I read in running magazines that you should stay at your level for a couple weeks and then increase what you are doing 10%. So I was ready to be patient. I'm sad to say that after running the 1/2 mile at a faster than normal pace, the side of my left knee/leg hurt again. After going out tonight I realized it is injured. Hurts with every step I take, especially when I lift it up. About to watch a movie with my Vince so I plan to ice it a bit. Must go walking with Maria tomorrow. We have to motivate each other to keep exercising during the summer. I'm sure I'll have to walk at my own slow pace though. Bummer. I really wanted to run a 1/2 marathon. Someday I guess.

Breakfast: green tea, 1/4 cup oatmeal
Lunch: 2 sandwiches on multi-grain bread with 1/2 avacado, turkey bacon, cheese, water.
Snack: vanilla soymilk with unsweetened cocoa, one dried fig.
Dinner: lean ground turkey meat mixed with canned diced tomatoes with garlic, canned mexican style black beans with onions and corn, zucchini.
Dessert: slice of watermelon, some cherries.
Bad Choice: went to Ooh La La and had the best darn chocolate cheesecake ever.

(Yep, broke out the canned food today. Think it may make my life a bit easier and I'm okay with that. Vince ate it too). Usually worry about too much sugar in canned foods, but suprised to discover the beans only had 2 grams.
 Don't be fooled by the fact that the cheesecake is cut in half. Vince didn't eat half, but he did have 2 small bites. It was all me!

2 comments:

  1. Have you bought a foam roller? Sounds like your IT band is giving you trouble...mine hurts sometimes, too. Get a foam roller and use it for 5 minutes per leg (outside of the knee and the hips and glutes as tightness in these areas can also have a negative effect). It will hurt like the dickens but it really does work. Your running strategy is good...if you get too enthusiastic at the start you can hurt yourself. Just remember to stretch before and after running. I'm doing my third half marathon next month...running really does get easier with practice so keep at it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie, you encourage me so!
      You are absolutely right. I'm sure it is the IT band. Many years ago I pulled the IT band high in my hip. Took about a year 1/2 or longer to heal, but I never used the roller because it hurt so badly. I'm going to buy one later today!! Im nipping this in the bud as soon as I can and I'll start stretching again!

      Delete