Saturday, May 5, 2012

Day 215: The 5K Run! Videos and Pics

Exercise: 5K run benefiting University of Texas scholarships. My little Sis went to college there. 3.3 miles. Burned 331 calories.
Time: 34 minutes and 9 seconds. Got 11th in my age group (40-49).  (video post later)

Ready to roll!

View while running. Near the Galeria area at Post Oak
The Run Story:
Vince thought it would be a great idea for me to begin in the VERY front of the pack at the start line. (pics up later..they are on his phone). There I was waiting in the front with no one else around yet....jumping around, bobbing my head, waving at the camera, having a good ol' time. Pretty laid back and enjoying the sights and sounds of the big day.  As I was focused on selecting my music on my phone, I could feel people beginning to gather around me. About 4 minutes before the race I turn around and WHOA!.....all the "real runners" had surrounded me! I was packed in like a sardine in a place I did not belong. There was fire in their eyes! I could sense their will to actually race and win. They gave off some sort of energy. Then I remembered I was starting not only with the 5K peeps, but the 10K peeps as well. The hard core runners were ready to roll and I feared I was in their way. No problem I thought. Hey, I'm a runner, right?
The gun sounded. People tore off as if lions were chasing them. I found myself running as fast as I could in the midst of the wild pack. My legs could not carry me as fast as they were going. I felt people on my back. I was in the way. Couldn't move to the right yet. Too squished in. Ran my fastest for a little bit. Suddenly, my thought processes told me that I couldn't breathe. Had to slow down. Scooted over to the side and found my regular pace. Everyone passed me by. The race was on.

All I knew is that I wanted to be able to say I finished the entire race running. (Acutally I stopped to take one pic and took 5 walking steps to get water after mile 1). Does that count? My second goal was to beat my last 5K race time that was last Summer.

Previous Summer 5K Time: 41 mintues I think.
Todays 5K Time: 34 minutes and 9 seconds! Wooohooo! At mile one I heard them announce 10 minutes and 17 seconds. By mile 2 I was really not sure if I could continue. So hot and humid. After 2 miles the negative thoughts begain to roll around in my head. I had to make myself focus on just moving my legs step by step even though they didn't want to. It becomes a mental game for me. Gosh, I can't believe I even ran a 10K last fall! You can see the 10K Turkey Trot race on DAY 53 of this blog. Need to get back into running shape.

When I turned the corner for the last stretch I spotted the Finish Line.  Ran as fast as I could. Saw some ladies that appeared to by in my age group and had to pass them. Ran, ran, ran toward the finish line. Crossed it. Really felt like I was going to fall over, throw up and use the restroom all at once!

They had some really great snacks afterward. That is our favorite part. Snacks pictured below.
Vince announced I was in first place. 
He meant first place BEFORE the race began because
 I was in the front of the pack.  LOL


Pre-race breakfast: 1 boiled egg, 1/2 avacado, peanut butter on multi-grain bread, green tea, water
Snack: Tons of bad food at the race: Couple bites of Vince's chocolate frozen yogurt, 1 small chocolate cake bundt cake thing, 1 small slice of cheese pizza, few orange slices, water, some sugar drink that gave me a headache.
Lunch: salad with chicken, orange bell peppers, tomatoes, water
Snack: 1/2 grapefruit
Dinner: TBD

Add caption

Let the training begin! Time to start lifting weights.



Lunch













2 comments:

  1. way to go Trish!!! You beat your time!! Also, I can really see some muscle definition in that picture of your arms! Keep it up!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Maria! You and I should run a 5K in the Fall when it cools down!

    ReplyDelete