Sunday, November 27, 2011

Day 53 Turkey Trot & the "Not So" Thanksgiving Day Meal

The morning of my awaited 10K finally arrived! Excitement filled the air as we scurried around at 5:30am trying to get ready. Ate, stretched, and we were on our way to the Galleria area only 5 minutes away.

I love the energetic atmosphere when you first arrive! People warming up, everyone getting their workout APPS in start mode, smiles, crowds of people everywhere, booths of interesting food/drink items, challenges, the cold air blowing, positive thoughts of finishing the race....

Knowing I had only ran 4 miles once before, I had hopes I would finish the 6.5 race, but expected to walk several miles in the back of my mind. Arrived with only 15 minutes to spare and had to jog a ways to the starting point. Cold. Vince went to his 5K spot. I ran over to my 10K spot. Weasled my way into the 1000s of people already there. (sort of in the middle of the pack).

Buzzer sounded and race began! Started my music as I crossed the start line. Couldn't stop smiling! I was actually doing it! I was in a 10K race! 5 months ago I couldn't run 2 houses down without getting out of breath and stopping! Where will I be in 5 more months with more training?? : )

Passed mile 3 still running. Thought I was near the front of the pack. Quite humbling when I realized how many people were actually in front of me when they started turning back towards me and I had quite a ways to reach to the turn around.


All the people passing me. Funny how
I end up taking a pic right in front of
Whataburger. My burger radar was on!
 All of a sudden I found myself at mile 4 and still running. Part of me wanted to stop because I was worried I would be injured if I continued. I felt great though. It was even easier to keep running. Then the "Rocky Song" came on and I went faster! 

Kept running...mile 5. My knees started hurting. Became fearful and slowed down tremendously. Had to keep going since I was sooooo close! I was going to do it. I knew that now. Nothing would stop me. My hip began to hurt, but I ignored it. It stopped. At 1/2 a mile left I began what I thought was a sprint. Came to find later on my APP I was actually going quite slow. HA! All was good. I could see the finish line. Amazing feeling. Couldn't stop smiling! Ran through the finish line.

In my age group I was 139. LOL  Vince got 17th in his age group and he even stopped at the RR. Vince has run 22 miles before, but is just now getting back into running. Pics of the race when they come out online.

Vince enjoying the free goodies.




Relaxing after the race.
 

Thanksgiving day breezed by quickly. My parents drove up 4 hours and stayed for only 3 hours since they had to work very early the next monring.
Couldn't deal with cooking turkey and whole shibang with the race going on that morning.
Prepared dinner the night before.
Breakfast: 2 corn tortillas with boiled eggs and spinach leaves. Green tea.
Snack: apple, 2 small blueberry muffins at the race event.
Thanksgiving Meal: Enchiladas, brown rice with quinoa and black beans.
Snack: Small slice of apple pie.
Dinner: Not really hungry. 1/2 a meat patty with 1/2 a sweet potato.

2 comments:

  1. Great job, Trish! You'll be dashing through these 10k's with ease before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WooHoo...I can't wait for that day!

    ReplyDelete